Monday 23 March 2009

Debates: wasting time or digging up truth?

This morning, I was greeted with an interesting contrast. On the one hand, I am translating a Bible school module on being ready to give a reason for the hope that is within us. On the other hand, I talked to someone who had been involved with a debate with someone who was obviously just looking for a fight. So, on one side we have an appeal to be ready to debate and "defend the faith" and on the other, a draining debate that went nowhere.

Unfortunately, the second example is nearer to the way I used to be. As a teenager, I was cocky and headstrong: ready to take on and take down any evolutionist, atheist, racist, sexist or any other -ist person I could find. I saw myself as a champion of truth, a faith-defender and an all-round intelligent good guy.

A few rocky debates on usenet forums later and I re-emerged bloodied, damaged and generally a bit like a boxer after a few rounds with a hungry Mike Tyson. These guys were older than me, ruder than me and had heard all of my "surprise arguments" years before. I got absolutely pounded. On occasion, I would lose so badly that I would retreat from the forums, spend a week or so reaffirming my faith and maybe even come back pretending to be someone else to gain some more credibility.

So, for the longest time, I avoided debates. Yes, I still read apologists like James W Sire but my old fire was gone. If there was a controversial point, I stepped back. I knew that I was capable of: exploding in a ball of debate and then crawling back in tatters. It simply didn't seem worth it.

But then, little by little, I found value in discussion. An off-the-cuff question from my pastor, carefully-guided discussions after Bible studies and even loving disagreements drove me towards the truth. I was encouraged to dig for truth and really think about what the Bible said. A few days ago, a discussion with a good friend helped me to clear up why I kept going back to the same passage. I started with confusion and finished with revelation. Suddenly, discussion and debate seemed far more powerful.

So, maybe there is a balance to be had. The same Bible that tells us to be ready to give a reason for our faith, tells us not to get involved in pointless discussions. The same Word of God that tells us to study and meditate on what God has said reminds us that too much study is wearisome. God cares enough to make sure we don't overdo this debate thing and end up in a mess of minor points and hurt feelings.

So, here is my guide for knowing which debates to jump into and which to leave:

1) Is this a good use of your time?
This is my golden rule. If the argument is never-ending, then step away. I believe that god will ask us to give an account of what we have done with our life. Imagine getting to Heaven and trying to justify to God why you spent six hours arguing over the meaning of a theological term instead of using the gifts He had put in your life. So, if the argument is draining your time and evergy and you are gaining nothing or little in return, walk away.

2) Is anything likely to change as a result of this?
There is nothing worse than watching two people butt-heads until they are tired. If neither you, nor the other person is likely to change viewpoint or even gain more respect for the other opinion, leave well alone. It simply is not worth it. No matter how right you are, you achieve nothing by fighting a battle that is going nowhere. I have come to the conclusion that only the Holy Spirit can bring someone to salvation. Arguments won't, debating won't. Sometimes the best you can do is care and ask the right questions. Getting angry does not help.

3) Is this about ideas or people?
If the argument is getting personal, it has gone too far. Discussion ideas in a loving, respectful atmosphere is fine; starting a match for who can insult the best is not. As soon as it gets personal, it is time to leave.

I will most likely come up with more guides but they will do for a start. Here's to a future full of fruitful and respectful discussions and exchanges of views.

Peace,

Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment